Friday, October 10, 2014

October 10 - My Heart’s Living Room

My Heart’s Living Room

“Enter with the password: "Thank you!" Make yourselves at home, talking praise. Thank him. Worship him.” Psalm 100:4 (Message)

Most of us struggle in one way or another or at one time or another with nurturing a personal relationship with God.  If we’re honest, our concept of a spiritual walk is what happens during the time you attend a church service.  To use building terms, we learn to “sub-divide” our week into the spiritual  and secular.  In our traditional minds, spiritual things happen on Sunday morning while secular things happen Monday through Saturday.  But God is interested in being part of our everyday lives.  He wants to build a relational time with us.  But too often, circumstances of life put a cramp in our style.  We then begin to falsely believe we are not capable of growing in Christ.

We are looking at the “Living Room” where our relationship with Christ is formed and spiritual growth occurs.  In Robert Munger’s, My Heart, Christ’s Home, the Living Room generally symbolizes a place of relationship.  In t our home life, it is often a place for family, friends, relaxation, Christmas and more. If you have a Living Room, it usually has been a place where you have experienced times of fellowship. 
            
Here is what Robert Munger writes. “We walked next into the living room. This room was rather intimate and comfortable. I liked it. It had a fireplace, overstuffed chairs, a sofa, and a quiet atmosphere. He also seemed pleased with it. He said, ‘This is indeed a delightful room. Let us come here often. It is secluded and quiet, and we can fellowship together.’ Well, naturally as a young Christian I was thrilled. I couldn't think of anything I would rather do than have a few minutes with Christ in intimate companionship. He promised, ‘I will be here early every morning. Meet me here, and we will start the day together.’ So morning after morning, I would come downstairs to the living room and He would take a book of the Bible from the bookcase. He would open it and then we would read together. He would tell me of its riches and unfold to me its truths. He would make my heart warm as He revealed His love and His grace He had toward me. These were wonderful hours together. In fact, we called the living room the ‘withdrawing room.’ It was a period when we had our quiet time together. But, little by little, under the pressure of many responsibilities, this time began to be shortened. Why, I don't know, but I thought I was just too busy to spend time with Christ. This was not intentional, you understand; it just happened that way.  Finally, not only was the time shortened, but I began to miss a day now and then. It was examination time at the university. Then it was some other urgent emergency. I would miss it two days in a row and often more. I remember one morning when I was in a hurry, rushing downstairs, eager to be on my way. As I passed the living room, the door was open. Looking in, I saw a fire in the fireplace and Jesus was sitting there. Suddenly in dismay I thought to myself,                           ‘He was my guest. I invited Him into my heart! He has come as Lord of my home. And yet here I am neglecting Him.’ I turned and went in. With a downcast glance, I said, ‘Blessed Master, forgive me. Have You been here all these mornings?’                          ‘Yes,’ He said, ‘I told you I would be here every morning to meet with you.’ Then I was even more ashamed. He had been faithful in spite of my unfaithfulness. I asked His forgiveness and He readily forgave me as He does when we are truly repentant.  ‘The trouble with you is this: you have been thinking of the quiet time, of the Bible study and prayer time, as a factor in your own spiritual progress, but you have forgotten that this hour means something to me also. Remember, I love you. I have redeemed you at great cost. I value your fellowship. Now,’ He said, ‘do not neglect this hour if only for my sake. Whatever else may be your desire, remember I want your fellowship.’ You know, the truth that Christ desires my companionship, that He loves me, wants me to be with Him, wants to be with me and waits for me, has done more to transform my quiet time with God than any other single fact. Don't let Christ wait alone in the living room of your heart, but every day find Him.”

God is interested in having more than a one day a week time with you.  Rather, he wants to have daily time with us. Our relationship with Him will not grow very deep…any more than a  one day time with your spouse will grow you deeper.   We can “Prime the Pump” by practicing it daily.

1)  First, Listen To His Love Letter To You (Psalm 119:41)
Psalm 119:41 says, “May your unfailing love come to me, O Lord, your salvation according to your promise…” In other words, when I read your promises, I experience your love. 
                   
2) Second,  Practice His Presence With You (Psalm 66:20)
When we pray, we are able to experience God’s presence.  Psalm 66:20 says, “Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!”.    God releases His love when we talk to Him. 
                  
3)  Third, Give His Grace Through You (2 Corinthians 4:15)                           
An important principle of life is, if you want to multiply something, give it away.  We understand that from farming.  Take seed and plant it.  You will reap more than you gave.   Give grace away and watch God’s grace come to you.


Has Christ been allowed in your Living Room lately?  Are you practicing times of relationship building?  The truth is, the Living Room experience can happen in your car, at your work, at the coffee shop, or with a friend.  When you let Him in your living room, you’ll find Him living big in you.

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)   How was your living room time with Christ this past week?
2)   What can you do to allow Him in through other ways this coming week?

Consider reading the Word today:


Copyright 2014- Terry Risser


No comments:

Post a Comment