Saturday, September 20, 2014

September 20 - A Dad For All Seasons

A Dad For All Seasons

“And now a word to all fathers.  Don’t keep scolding and nagging your children, making them angry and resentful.  Rather, bring them up with the loving discipline the Lord himself approves, with suggestions and advice.” Ephesians 6:14

Most people have heard of the “bell curve.”  It’s that strangely shaped graph, ironically shaped like a “bell,” that for years has been used by teachers to assess the average grading level of a class.  For instance, a small number of students will get “F’s”, a slightly higher number get “D’s”, and a rising and proportionately greater amount receive “C’s”, and a lesser number receive “B’s”, and a few get “A’s”.  (Like a bell, it rises and falls.)

While most have heard of the bell curve, the majority are unaware of the “dad curve.”  (Actually, it’s an inverted bell shape.)  It starts high, descends to a valley, and then rises again.  Much like students, dads are constantly being graded by their children.  Not that the grading determines a dad’s success or failure, for only the Lord can assess that, but rather the child’s opinion of a dad over a lifetime will continue to change, whether you’ve failed, are average or have been perfect.

Ann Landers said it best in her article, “My Father When I Was…”

My Father When I Was…
4 years old:  My daddy can do anything.
5 years old:  My daddy knows a whole lot.
6 years old: My dad is smarter than your dad.
8 years old:  My dad doesn’t exactly know everything.
10 years old:  In the olden days when my dad grew up, things sure were                                         different.
12 years old:  Oh, well, naturally, Father doesn’t know anything about that.  He is
                       too old to remember his childhood.
14 years old:  Don’t pay any attention to my father.  He is so out of touch!
21 years old:  Him?  My goodness he is hopelessly out-of-date!
25 years old:  Dad knows a little about it, but then he should because he has
                       been around so long.
30 years old:  May we should ask Dad what he thinks.  After all, he had a lot of
                       experience.
35 years old:  I’m not doing a single thing until I talk to Dad.
40 years old:  I wonder how Dad would have handled it.  He was so wise and had
                       a world of experience.
50 years old:  I’d give anything if Dad were here so I could talk this over with
                      him.  Too bad I didn’t appreciate how smart he was.  I could have
                      learned a lot from him.

Though seasons undoubtedly will change, effective fathering requires constant dependence upon the Lord so that you can faithfully fulfill your calling in this vital area.   In Ephesians 6:14, Paul says, “And now a word to all fathers.  Don’t keep scolding and nagging your children, making them angry and resentful.  Rather, bring them up with the loving discipline the Lord himself approves, with suggestions and advice.” (TLB)  They’ll thank you for it later.  Might even give you an “A.”

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)   What was your experience with your  father?  Do you have good or difficult memories?
2)   Ask God to have you pray for someone (a dad) in your life today.

Consider reading the Word today:



Copyright 2014- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment