Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September 30 - Christianese

Christianese

There are certain places that scare me to death.  When I was a kid, it was that abandoned house down the block that I knew was haunted.  Or that crawl space beneath our home that monsters occupied.  The thought of venturing there was not pleasant.

Even though I’ve grown up, things are similar.  While years of reality checks have alleviated my fear of monsters, today it has transferred into new fears.  Especially computer stores.  You see, I suffer from a common ailment known as “cyberphobia” or fear of computers.  Doctors tell me it’s a mild case and progress through increased exposure.  But for some reason, I chose to extend myself faster than recommended. 

Some time ago, I made a rare visit to a cyber-store and true to form, my nightmare came true.  The minute I walked in, I felt like every junkie in the place spotted me.  Maybe it was my mouth hanging open as if aliens had landed.  Or maybe it was the look of being “clueless.”  Either way, I felt like I had been issued a dunce cap and ushered into the Harvard Ph.D. Program.  Immediately, I gravitated to the section with manuals.  Books entitled Windows
for Idiots and DOS for the Lobotomized fit me like a custom-made suit.  Apparently, there were other cyberphobes on the planet.

Failing to remain unnoticeable, a salesperson came over.  “Can I help you?”  He said.  “Do you have one of the dillamabobs that make one of those thingamagigs?”  I responded.  I had heard that anything with “gigs” sounds computerish.  Unimpressed, he said, “Is this a multi-task, 48 megabyte hard drive system?”  “Ahhhh, yeah!” trying to sound confident.  Somehow, the conversation went south from there.  I’m not sure what I needed, and he wasn’t sure why I was allowed in the door.  We never quite connected.

Christians have an indigenous language just like computer expertsIt’s called “Christianese.”  Much like my computer store experience, it can distance us from the non-Christian.  People who are unfamiliar with our faith are befuddled when we say, “Are you washed in the blood?”  “I’m redeemed, are you?” and “God loves the lost.”  These are common language to a fellow believer but gibberish to the unreached.  As we become more aware, God will help us to speak a language that communicates to those around us:

  1. Take time to listen:  A deep empathy usually opens the door that we might minister to their hurts.  (James 1:19)
  2. Offer to Pray:  Prayer speaks that you care and identifies your commitment to Christ without cramming your witness down their throats.  (James 5:16)
  3. Show kind acts unconditionally:  James says, “Faith without works is dead.”     James 2:17) Are we any different from others?
  4. Communicate your faith practically:  Paul attempted to be “all things to all people.”


Say something like, “In church, I heard…What do you think about that?”  Or, “I was reading my Bible and saw…have you ever thought about that?”  One more thing.  Assume they want what you’ve got.  They may not know how to ask for it or speak the language, but they can sure identify someone who cares.

Terry Risser

Consider reading the Word today:


Copyright 2014 – Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment