Monday, October 19, 2015

Are You Ready For Some “Power Prayers”?

Are You Ready For Some “Power Prayers”?

“Give ear, O Lord, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications.” Psalm 86:6

As football season is in full stride, I wanted to pass along a few terms I wrote down a few years ago to describe how often the game can translate into faith.  Over the next few days, I will use football terms to prompt several ways to pray as you go through you day.  See if they don’t apply to your life:

AudibleChanging a play at the line of scrimmage by calling out a pre-determined set of signals.
Prayer: Lord, if you reveal the audibles you want for my life and make a change in my agenda and plans today, I am open to hear what you want to speak.  Help me to see and hear what you are saying, the people that you want me to see or help, the encounters you desire that I have.  May I be like Jesus who was always ready to do your will in helping and healing those around Him.

BlindsideThe side opposite the direction a player is facing.
Prayer: Jesus, the enemy is out to blindside me.  His “schemes” and plans are to catch me off guard through temptations and traps that stop me in your game plan.  Help me to see what he is doing and remind me that “greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.”

CarryThe act of running with the ball. In a game's box score, a runner's rushing attempts are listed as carries.
Prayer: Ask your opponent how you can pray for them. “Jesus, the Bible says to “carry one another’s burdens.”  Strengthen (name) with your power today. 

ComebackWhen a team is behind at the end of a game and scores a touchdown or field goal to move ahead.  Also refers to a pass route in which the receiver breaks back toward the line of scrimmage, usually to the outside.
Prayer: Jesus, thank you for the “Ultimate Comeback” that you made through your death and resurrection.  You shared how you came not to be served but to serve and give your life as a ransom for many. (Mark 10:45) While your main plan was to die for my sins, your greater plan was to rise again as I can now find victory over sin, death, hell, bondages, and any challenge of life.  Though I may feel a setback at different times, you have made comebacks possible for me.

CompletionA forward pass that is caught by an eligible receiver.
Prayer: I thank you for Philippians 1:6 which says, “He who began a good work in you will be able to complete it.” Your completion rating is perfect in that you have worked in my life to handle situations of the past and you are going to help me complete the race you have called me to run.

CountThe numbers that a quarterback shouts loudly while waiting for the ball to be snapped.
Prayer: Lord, I will “count” my blessings as you have given me: 1) A relationship with you.  2) A relationship with family.  3) A relationship with wonderful friends.
Thank you for these and so many more provisions in my life.

CoverageOffensive or Defensive strategy calls to assign an individual or group of players to particular opponents for play progress.
Prayer: Lord, as we read in Psalm 32:1, “Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.”  Thank you that you have covered and removed my sins: past, present and future.  What can wash away my sins? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

ConversionWhen a team that just scored a touchdown kicks a field goal for an extra point or starts a play at the opponent’s 2-yard line (3-yard line in college) and crosses the goal line to earn 2 points; when successful, it looks just like a touchdown; introduced to the NFL in 1994.
Prayer:  Lord, there are many of my friends and family who do not have a personal relationship with you.   I pray that they would convert to you.  Just like the Apostle Paul who was once not for you and came to know you, I ask that you would give me an open door this week to minister to them by showing your grace, your words and your life in me. I desire to see many “conversions” to you.

Down:  A play, starting when the ball is put into play and ending when the ball is ruled dead. Basically, a down is one play.
Prayer:  When I am down, I ask that you would give me the ability to turn my focus to you and “encourage myself in you.” (1 Samuel 30:6) I am going to put my hope in God no matter what comes my way.

Audibles, blindside, carries, comeback, completions, count, coverage, conversion and downs.  As many understandably focus their attention toward their favorite teams this weekend, take time to say these prayers to move us to the greatest power available to us…the power of prayer.

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)   Which of these prayers most describes you today?
2)   Who is one person you might direct your prayer toward?


Copyright 2015- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment