Monday, October 26, 2015

Get Your “Prayer” Game On!

Get Your “Prayer” Game On!

“And it came to pass in those days, that He went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God..”  Luke 6:12

Over 50 times in the Bible, sports are referenced and the analogy generally translates greatly into our spiritual walk.  Paul talks about “running the race” and “finishing the course.”   It is true in football too.  From Thursday (yesterday) to Monday, we are giving quick prayers that can remind us of our faith and how we can fulfill His call for our lives.  Consider praying these simple prayers as we look at some famous terms used:

Crossbar: The bar at the base of the field goal which holds the uprights.
Prayer:  Lord, in Exodus 26:28, the Bible says, “The center crossbar is to extend from end to end at the middle of the frames.”  Thank you for the ultimate crossbar on which you hung to remove my guilt and shame.  I thank you for your faithfulness.

Cut Back:  A sudden change in direction.
Prayer:  I ask your forgiveness for areas I need cleansed.  David prayed in Psalm 51, “Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me.”  Wash me clean and let me experience your grace and joy.

Defense:  The unit that is responsible for keeping the opposition out of their end zone.
Prayer:  Help me to stand as a “watchman at the gate” who would keep my home, personal life and family clean from the invasion of the media and television that threatens to contaminate our lives. Give me wisdom to know what pleases you and what is not of You.

Eligible ReceiverOne of several designated offensive players on the field that is authorized to catch a pass, as opposed to those offensive players (generally linemen) who cannot.
Prayer:  I am grateful that you have made me eligible to receive your grace. 
1 Peter says, “Once I did not have mercy but now I do.”  Thank you for your salvation, restoration, and hope of eternity.



Encroachment:  A foul in which a defender makes contact with a member of the offense before the snap.
Prayer:  Forgive me for an offensive word or an unkind action that I showed to my spouse, child, neighbor or co-worker.  Release me and help me to take a step toward rectifying the situation.

Face Mask: The bars attached to a football helmet that covers a player’s face.
Prayer:  I want to be real rather than fake today. Please remove any “facemask” that I hold.  InLuke 12: 1,2, you said, “You can't hide behind a religious mask forever; sooner or later the maskwill slip and your true face will be known.” (Message).  I open my heart and life to you, to expose the false, for true living.  

Forward Progress:  The location to which a ball carrier's forward momentum carries him before he is tackled.
Prayer:  Lord, while I know I’m not what I want to be, I thank you that I’m not what I used to be.  Though I sometimes takes two steps back, I’m grateful for the three steps forward that you are allowing me to take in my relationship with you.  Thank you for giving me strength this year in many areas including: (name an area).

Foul:  Any violation of a playing rule.
Prayer:  Lord, you share in Ephesians 4:29 that we need to “Watch the way you talk. Let nothingfoul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word, a gift.”  Forgive me when I’m tempted to see what I can get “away with” rather than seeing what I can get “away from.”  Cleanse me and give me wisdom to know those things that are from you and those things that are not, including dirty jokes, negative comments, or filling my mind with things that bring harm.

From crossbars to fouls, God is willing to strengthen us, change us, and use us for His purposes.  Now you are ready to get your “Game On’ for whatever comes your way!

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)    What does the “Ultimate Crossbar” mean to you today?
2)    How has the cross taken your “minuses” and turned them into  “pluses?”


Copyright 2015- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment