Monday, October 5, 2015

In The Name Of Love

In The Name Of Love

Born in 1960, few knew that Paul David Hewson, today recognized by his stage name “Bono Vox,” would reach the international acclaim he has gained with his group U2. Born of a Protestant father and a Catholic mother, there was something about his upbringing that would later mold his music and message.  Since the 1980’s, U2 has remained in the forefront of both the charts and popularity around the world.

While a case could be made to promote some favorites of bygone eras including the Mills Brothers, the Drifters, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Creed, Matchbox 20, or any others you might mention; like few others, U2 has used its prowess to intervene in famines in Africa to endorse world peace.

Greater still, Bono not only takes an unconventional approach on subjects, he carries an unusual message as to how people’s lives are changed.

In his book Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assaya, the lead singer and songwriter for the rock group makes an explicit confession of faith.  While many may argue nuances and minutia, there is a grasp of truth.

“It’s a mind-blowing concept that the God who created the universe might be looking for company, a real relationship with people, but the thing that keeps me on my knees is the difference between grace and karma.”

Since saying that the idea of karma is central to all religions, Bono explained, “What you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics - in physical laws - every action is met by an equal or an opposite one.  It’s clear to me that karma is at the very heart of the universe.

I’m absolutely sure of it.  And yet, along comes this idea called grace to upend all that ‘as you reap, so you will sow’ stuff.  Grace defies reason and logic.  Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I’ve done a lot of stupid stuff…

It doesn’t excuse my mistakes, but I’m holding out for grace.  I’m holding out that Jesus took my sins upon the cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don’t have to depend on my own religiosity.”

To whatever degree you appreciate today’s music and bands, you have to value Bono’s definition of grace that supersedes the world’s idea of karma.  Over 200 years ago, another music legend, John Newton, shared the timeless idea of God’s “Amazing Grace” that is available to each person.

Then almost 2000 years ago, Paul wrote, “For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God, not of works; so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2;8,9 (NIV).  That’s great news…from the sacrifice of One Man who came in the name of love.

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)   What impacts you about this definition of grace?
2)   What mistakes have you made that God wants to offer fresh grace for today?


Copyright 2015- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment