Monday, November 9, 2015

Receivers of Grace

Receivers of Grace

“Hear my prayer, O Lord, give ear to my supplications: in thy faithfulness answer me, and in thy righteousness.” Psalm 143:1

Sunday is the highlight of the football week.   As teams compete for standings, God has called us to stand.   Ask His help today in your life and find His strength filling you whether you are facing minor obstacles or major battles.  Time and again in the Word, we find God offering freedom from the “penalty” of sin as grace is offered to all who desire to receive it.  Pray these prayers:

Pass:  Throwing the ball so that it ends up further downfield than it started. Prayer:  The un-offended life is a fulfilling life.  Lord, help me to learn to let things go.  We live in a world that is obsessed with respect.   Even in those times where people don’t give me what I want, I will resist the temptation to react and will pass those offenses onto You. 

PenaltyPunishment for an infraction of the rules.
Prayer:  Jesus, thank you for paying the penalty for my sins.  It was me who was supposed to go to the cross yet you took my place. Hebrews 9 says that Christ died to set us free from the penalty of death that was ours.  Forgive me for forgetting all that You have done and bring a new sense of freedom to me in that I no longer have the penalty over me but am free in Christ.

Personal Violation:  Rules violation committed by a player resulting in a penalty.
Prayer: In my past, there have been personal violations that have brought hurt to my life.  The people that have caused that pain have become a source of irritation at the least, and brought hatred at times, at the most.  I ask you, Lord, to begin the healing process in me as I take a step toward releasing them from my vengeance and allowing you to bring justice as only you can do.  Free me as I hand it over to You.

ProtectionThe blocking scheme used by offensive players to keep the defense from getting to the quarterback on passing plays.
Prayer:  I pray your protection on my home, family, friends, and my personal life.  Put a hedge of protection around me, cover me with your canopy, and undergird me as a Rock is a fortress in times of trouble.  I declare that you are the God who protects His children and is faithful in every situation. 

ReceiverThe receiver who, on a particular play, is designed to be the first option for the quarterback to throw the ball to.
Prayer:  I thank you for the words of John 1:16 which say, “For of His fullness we have allreceived, and grace upon grace.” (NASB) I open my heart “wide” to be a “receiver” of your grace today as I respond to your forgiveness and love and keep my heart open as I give your forgiveness and love to others. 

Recover:  Taking control of a ball that has been fumbled.
Prayer:  Lord, I would ask that you would recover everything that has been lost in my life in the past.  Where there has been financial loss, I pray in the words of Zechariah 9, that you would restore twofold.  Where there has been relational loss, I pray that you would restore twofold.  Where there has been pain or sickness, you would restore twofold.  I thank you that you are a God who recovers my life from the things of the past.

RushAn attempt by the defensive players to get to the quarterback so they can tackle him before he can complete a pass.
Prayer:  In the stress and rush of life these days, I give myself over to you to keep the pace that you have called me to go.  I’m deciding, with your favor, to not go too fast and not go too slow.  As you said, Jesus, in Matthew 11:28-30 “I can come to you when I’m weary or rushed and you will give me rest.”

Safety:  A defensive player who lines up the deepest in the secondary and defends the deep middle of the field against the pass. 1. A two-point score by the defense that occurs when one of its players tackles an opponent in possession of the ball in his own end zone. 2. A defensive player who lines up in the secondary between, but generally deeper than the cornerbacks.
Prayer:  Ezekiel 34:28 say that they will live in safety, and no one will make them afraid. I agree that perfect love casts out fear.  In those areas of my past where fear has set in, I will take hold of the safety that comes in following You.  I refuse to allow my past, circumstances or people to destabilize me but I will rest in the shadow of the Almighty where there is a security and safety as children of the Lord.

As we continue in this football prayer emphasis, let God lead you to grow in prayer and thank Him for all that He has done.  David wrote in Psalm 143:1, ““Hear my prayer, O Lord, give ear to my supplications: in thy faithfulness answer me, and in thy righteousness.”  May we find His protection in our lives.

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)  Where do you need God’s protection most in your life?
2)  Commit that area to Him today and ask the Holy Spirit to lead you.

Copyright 2015- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment