Monday, November 16, 2015

Victory Celebration Prayers

Victory Celebration Prayers

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much” James 5:16

During a football game, a touchdown or score will often elicit a celebration or even a taking of knee for prayer.   Looking at these different definitions of football, we find that they remind us of a very real battle that we are in that we will find victory.  Paul writes in Romans 7, “But thanks be unto God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”  On this final day of our football prayer definitions, as Monday Night Football marks the conclusion of a weekend of games,  take time to invite God to work in you. 

Scheme:  A play or call devised to deceive or confuse the opponent.
Prayer:  Lord, help me to identify the schemes of the enemy.  He is constantly trying to trick me, trap me, and taunt me through enticing me into things He says are fine, and then cornering me when I have fallen with accusations of failure.   I resist the devil and he will flee from me as the Lord will be my shield and protector in any challenges he brings my way.

SignalsThe code that a team uses to call their plays.
Prayer:  Lord, you are constantly wanting to talk to me through your voice, circumstances, challenges, and so much more. I ask that You would enable me to catch the signals You are offering to Me.  Thank you that Your communication did not stop in the Bible days, but You are desirous to direct Me and are looking for people who know the Shepherd’s voice.

Spot:  The exact location on the field that a player's forward progress is stopped, as marked by an official.
Prayer:  Father, cleanse the spots on my heart that create guilt, weight, and separate me from you.  The smallest spot can create the greatest chasm with you.  I ask that you would allow the blood of Jesus to be my victory today as without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness of sin…but with the shedding of blood that you offered on the cross, as far as the east is from the west, so far have my sins been taken away from me.   I receive that today.

Stance:  The position that a player assumes prior to the snap of the ball.
Prayer:  I agree with the Apostle Paul, in Ephesians 6, who prayed that when challenges come, I am going to take a stand in the Lord.  You have given me a stable stance that causes me to plant my feet upon the Rock of Jesus Christ.  I ask that you would renew that stability where things have seemed to waver and I have found life creating an imbalance.  I stand in you today.

Sweep:  A play where the ball carrier runs to the outside with other players moving in front to block.
Prayer: Isaiah 43:2 says, “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.”  (Message) I speak that for my family, friends, church family, and personal life.  When it feels like the water is rising too high, help me to remember the spiritual buoyancy with which I am able to rise.  I will not be swept under today or tomorrow, but will hold strong to the Rock and the Fortress of Jesus Christ.

Turnover: When one team loses control of the ball and possession is assumed by the opposing team whether through a fumble or interception
Prayer:  I am going to exchange my problems for His grace.  I am pressed but not crushed, persecuted not abandoned, struck down but not destroyed. I going to trade my sorrows for the joy of the Lord. I am going to practice the principle of turnovers

UprightRefers to the two poles on the goal post which are used to measure whether a field goal attempt is successful or unsuccessful.
Prayer: My prayer is that God would give me His character and His integrity to be like Him.  I make Psalm 64:10 my request which says, “Let the righteous rejoice in the LORD and take refuge in him; let all the upright in heart praise Him! “  God, may it be said by You and by others; there is an upright man who follows the Lord.


Veer:  An offensive team formation which designates a type of running play
Prayer:  Father, I realize the heart is deceitful above all things and can lead me down a path of pain.  When I am tempted to “veer’ tomorrow in some place in my life, I pray that you would enable me to see it ahead of time and be resolute in my decisions to follow You rather than follow the enemy, the world, or even my own flesh.

Victory CelebrationVarious types of emotional displays over a team’s win.
Prayer: Today, I celebrate your victory on the cross and all that it has brought to us.  1 Corinthians 15:57 says, “But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Name a victory you found in the past through salvation, healing, answered prayer, or God’s love to you.)


Though the schemes of the enemy will come, we can celebrate the victory Christ brought once and for all, the victory that He brings each day.

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)   Name one of the greatest schemes the enemy uses to tempt you?
2)   Call upon Christ today and ask His Holy Spirit to give you power to   
      overcome.

Terry Risser


Copyright 2015- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment