Monday, November 2, 2015

God’s Great Game Plan

God’s Great Game Plan

“Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving.”  Colossians 4:2

On this Saturday, many college football teams across the nation will prepare for a gridiron battle.  However, greater battles of a spiritual vein are occurring in a less visible arena.  As you read these familiar terms from the football scope, may that prompt us to grow closer to Christ.  Here are a few ways to pray today:

Guard:  A member of the offensive line. There are two guards on every play, and they line up on either side of the offensive center.
Prayer:  I claim the verse in Proverbs, “Guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life.”  Lord, be the guard and gatekeeper of my heart and increase in me an awareness that I have been called to partner with you in making decisions toward healing and wholeness in every part of my life.  As I realize my weakness, your strength comes in. Thank you Holy Spirit that you are with me.

Hand Check:  Legal defensive back or player technique used to obstruct or adjust a player’s motion.
Prayer: Psalm 24:3, 4 (NIV) says, “Who may ascend the hill of the LORD?  Who may stand in His holy place?  He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false.”  Father, do a hand check on me today.  Make sure that any soiling or bloodying is purified by the powerful blood of Jesus.

Home Field Advantage: The benefit a team gets by playing games in its own stadium.
Prayer: Father, help me to be a tempo setter in my household.  If there are times it becomes a place of opposition, I pray that you would help me bring change.  I want to be a “thermostat” that sets the temperature rather than a “thermometer” that simply reads the temperature. Make my home a place where you dwell and you give us an advantage.  Joshua 24 says, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

Huddle:  When the 11 players on the field from one team form a group to discuss the upcoming play.
Prayer:  Hebrews says, “Forsake not the gathering of believers.”  I recommit to the importance of small huddles with friends with whom I can play and pray;  as well as large huddles at church,  where I can be a blessing and be blessed.  Remind me Lord that while I go to church to hear Your Word and worship, I go to make a difference in others people’s lives.   Thank you for keeping that before me.

Intentional Grounding: The quarterback, while he is still in the area between the tackles, purposely throwing the ball out of bounds or into the ground to avoid taking a sack.
Prayer:  This week, my prayer is that I would be able to get on my knees or lie prostrate before You that I would remember that I am submitted to you in every aspect of my life.  When I humble myself in Your sight, you increase and I must decrease.  You are exalted and others are drawn to you.  Help me to hold then posture both literally and figuratively in my heart in all that I do, because only You are worthy of my praise.

Out of Bounds:  The area touching or outside the sidelines and end line.
Prayer:  Lord, forgive me where I forget that you have given me your Words of life to avoid stepping out of bounds.  Give me a new mind to see that your Spirit, Your Scriptures, and Your Salvation have been offered to keep me in the game.  I don’t want to find my life removing me from playing time, but staying in bounds to experience all that you have for me.  Where I have stepped out of bounds with my words, cause me to make amends. Where I have stepped out bounds through my thoughts, bring me back in the game.

Pass:  Throwing the ball so that it ends up further downfield than it started. Prayer:  The un-offended life is a fulfilling life.  Lord, help me to learn to let things go.  We live in a world that is obsessed with respect.   Even those times where people don’t give me what I want, I will resist the temptation to react and will pass those offenses onto You. 

Whether guarding, hand checking, experiencing your home field advantage, huddling, or more, let Christ make us more into His image.

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)    Where are you going to huddle to celebrate Christ this weekend?
2)    Ask Him to “guard” your heart today.

Copyright 2015- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment