Saturday, January 11, 2014

January 11 - Simply "A - Mays-Ing"



Simply “A-Mays-Ing”

“What, then, shall we say in response to these things?
If God is for us, who can be against us?  Romans 8:31


Some ventures in life make your feel like a kid again.
           
That happened to me recently.  I met one of my heroes at a restaurant.  There aren’t a ton of people that I have put down on my bucket list to meet, but this sports icon was one of them.
His name is Willie Mays.  John Folgerty sang about “Say Hey Willie,” in his upbeat tune, “Centerfield” and others have called him “Buck.” I simply knew Him as the “Best.” From the time I was five-years old, I loved watching him play baseball on our old TV console.  As a little kid growing up in West Texas, I couldn’t tell you the difference between San Francisco and San Felipe, but I knew Willie lived there and that’s all that mattered.  He was A-Mays-ing!
           
Even at 82 today, you feel like he could still strap them on.  He is one of the original five-tool players (hitting, hitting for power, running, throwing and fielding) and Willie could do it all. 
           
660 Home Runs (no PED’s then my friend)…the only player to hit 50 home runs 10 years apart (1955 and 1965)…World Series over the shoulder catches… base stealing, basket catches, and interestingly, the one Major Leaguer in history to hit a home run from the 1st to the 16th inning.  Rumor had it that he was more powerful than a locomotive, could leap small buildings in a single bound and you know the rest.

His Major League debut was inauspicious to say the least.  After beginning his career 0 for 12 (that’s zero hits in 12 at-bats), he found himself crying in the dugout after another miserable performance at the plate. The turning point for Willie (we’re on a first named basis now that we’ve met) occurred when his Giant’s manager, Leo Durocher, put his arm around him and said, “What’s the matter, son?” Willie said, “I can’t hit up here. I belong in the minor leagues.”  Durocher said, “As long as I’m manager of the Giants, you’ll be my centerfielder.”  On his 13th at bat, he hit a homer over the left field fence off of future Hall of Famer Warren Spahn.  Spahn later joked, “I’ll never forgive myself.  We might have gotten rid of Willie forever if I’d struck him out.”

Willie had someone to encourage him and tell him, “I am behind you and this will work out.”  However, it’s not that different with us.  The book of Romans tells us, “If God is for you, who can be against you.”  Though challenges will come this year in every way…physically, emotionally, relationally, and spiritually, He stands with you through it all and will see you through to the otherside.  Though the enemy wants to get rid of you, God won’t let it happen. In a sense, we should be overwhelmed by a Savior who loves us, blesses us, and stands with us even though we merit nothing. His love is new every morning and can make you feel like a kid again.   It’s called “Grace” and it’s simply “Amazing.”
Terry Risser

Reflection:
1)   Recall a time when someone in your life spoke encouragement in a difficult time or season?
2)   What do you believe God wants to speak to you today about His love for you?

Copyright 2014- Terry Risser

Consider reading God's Word today, click on image below for daily devotional:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=gen%2027-28,%20ps%204,%20luke%2011&version=NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment