Wednesday, January 15, 2014

January 15 - Confessions Of A Speed Eater



Confessions Of A Speed Eater

“Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” Joshua 1:8 (NIV)

Life is moving at warp speed.  From microwave zapping to power napping, we are trying to get things done faster and faster. 

During my college years, I was hired at IBM in downtown Los Angeles to work at the Customer Service Branch while pursuing my Bible College Degree.  However, my start time allowed exactly 30 minutes between the time my final class ended each day (12:00 noon) to the time I had to be at my 15th floor post in Crocker Towers at 12:30 p.m. While Evelyn Wood’s became famous for something known as “Speed Reading Courses,” I could have just as easily done a seminar and Masters course on “Speed Eating.” 

From class closing each day, I darted to the school dining hall, tossed the menu onto my tray, gobbled down my meal, ran to the car, and sped to the parking structure for a narrow but efficient arrival.  Speed Eating Indeed!  Doing this for 2 straight years rendered a “PhD in munch-ology.”  Sparks were flying off my table utensils and transmission.

However, long after I fulfilled my assignment for International Business Machines, I found that old habits “die hard.”  I would sit down with friends at a leisurely meal while consuming my portion within a couple minutes while they were just getting started.  People began to wonder if I was somehow being deprived.  Over time (and a little pacing), I began to recognize how a rushed season of life had brought on an unnecessary rush in another.  I had lost my ability to enjoy the experience or as some refer to it, “Carpe Diem” (Latin for “Cease the Day”) exchanging it with simply accomplishing a task.

Life will do that to you. Thankfully, I have made great strides, though my wife is still praying for me.

As we read the Word this year, we might learn a lesson from yours truly, the “Lightning McQueen of the Food Scene.”  Take time to enjoy the meal God has given us from His Word today.  The word “meditate” brings the idea of the cow that chews the cud (bringing it up and down). While we are tempted to become “Speed Readers,” it is far better to savor and relish His life giving message.  Let Him remind you of a few things along the road that come straight from His LIPS to your ears:

1)    His “L-ove” He will speak through His Spirit
2)    His “I-dentity” that comes when you conform to Him
3)    His “P-lan” for you that will lead you to abundant life
4)    His “S-trength” that is new every morning

Take time to slow down.  He will certainly fill you up.

Pastor Terry


Consider reading God's Word today, click on image below for daily devotional:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=gen%2037-38,%20ps%207,%20luke%2015&version=NIV




Copyright 2014 - Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment