Tuesday, April 22, 2014

April 22 - New Attitude, New Altitude



New Attitude, New Altitude

“Let the same attitude that Christ had dwell in us…” Philippians 2:5
   
Most of us in life have developed the false idea that the quality of our lives has to do with circumstances.   The difference has to do with having a right attitude.  It is the make or break proposition in life in so many ways. Your attitude is the most important thing about you.  More than your past, education, looks, money, or anything.

 Chuck Swindoll said it this way, “The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.  Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.  It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other  people think or say or do.  It is more important than appearance,        giftedness, or skill.  It will determine the outcome of a company a church…a home.                                  The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.  We cannot change our past…we cannot change the fact that people will act a certain way.  We cannot change the inevitable.  The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude…I am convinced that life is
10% of what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.  And so it is with you…we are in charge of our attitudes.”

John D. Rockefeller once said, “I will pay a man more for his attitude and his ability to get along with others than for any other skill he may possess.”  Your attitude is your most important asset.   If it’s good, nothing can stop you.  If it is bad, nothing will help you.  We have to preset our attitudes toward good. 

Francis Swartz in her book, Chicken Soup for the Soul at Work tells about a guy       named Jerry who was always in a good mood and always had something positive to say. And when asked how he was doing he would always say, "If I was any better, I’d be twins." Jerry was a restaurant manager who everybody loved to work for because he was so positive. And Francis said, "I don’t get it Jerry, you can’t possibly be upbeat all the time how do you do it?" And Jerry replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to myself Jerry you have two choices today: you can either choose to be in a bad mood or choose to be in a good one. And I choose to be in good mood." "Oh it’s not that easy," I protested, Swartz writes. "Yes it is," Jerry responded, "Life is all about choices." Well several years ago, Jerry’s restaurant was robbed. The thieves panicked and shot him and he was rushed to the emergency room. He spent eighteen hours on the operating table and several weeks in intensive care but he survived. And, later she asked him how he did it. He said, "When I was lying on the floor I remembered I had two choices, I could choose to live or I could choose to die. I chose to live. The paramedics were encouraging, but when they wheeled me into the emergency room and I saw the looks on the faces of the doctors and nurses I got really scared; in their eyes I read he’s a dead man and I knew I needed to take action.”   There was a big burly nurse shouting questions at me and she asked, Are you allergic to anything? Yes,’ I replied, and the doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for my reply. ‘BULLETS,’ I answered.  And over their laughter I yelled, ‘I’m choosing to live, operate on me as I am alive, not dead.’” Jerry lived thanks to the skill of the doctors, to his attitude, and to the grace of God. And Francis Swartz says, "I saw Jerry six months after the accident and asked him how he was doing and he replied, ‘If I was any better, I’d be twins.’"  Much of life is determined not by circumstances but by personal choice. It matters how you choose to live, so I challenge you to begin to make a personal choice and decide that you are going to rejoice in the Lord no matter what.

There are great men in the Bible who teach us this idea:  One was Daniel. There are few people in the Bible whom we see going through the things that Daniel did.  He was exiled, pressured to submit to king’s requests, and put in the Lion’s Den.  The Bible says, “But Daniel had a supernatural spirit or attitude…”  He could face the worst circumstances.  He wasn’t stumped but remained undaunted.  He kept His eyes on the Lord.  He served as the head of four leaders.

Another was Job.  Job faced trials and adversities of every type.  He even lost his family, wealth, health, and everything else. Job 1:21, “The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.”

Then there is Paul.  Paul was showing us how to have a right attitude in hard circumstances.   He says, “In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in                            Christ Jesus.”  Paul has been beaten, shipwrecked, thrown into prison, left for dead, and he was treated as a criminal.   He knew how to have a right attitude.

Today, God wants to develop a supernatural attitude in us regarding everything we face or experience.   Paul would write in Philippians 2, “Let the same attitude that Christ had dwell in us…”  Could we say that is our desire this morning? Or have we excused ourselves from letting the Holy Spirit do that work? Just as Paul showed, it’s a natural byproduct of knowing the Lord.  Ask Paul and he’d tell you…”  If he was any better, he’d be twins.”

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)    Would you be a glass half-full or glass half-empty person?
2)    Renew or change your attitude by starting with a heart of gratitude.  Thank the Lord for three things that He has done for you.

Consider reading the Word today:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+sam+25-26%2C+ps+141%2C+mt+9&version=NKJV
 

Copyright 2014- Terry Risser


No comments:

Post a Comment