Sunday, June 15, 2014

June 15 - The Ideal Man and Joe Average



The Ideal Man and Joe Average

**This article was published by Focus on the Family (January, 1987)

Madison Avenue, Hollywood and the National Football League have given us the image of what the ideal Man should be.  He is the living Ken to every blue-eyed Barbie-doll woman.  With a fur-lined leather jacket slung casually over his shoulder, he alights from his helicopter and gallops around the lower 40 of his dude ranch. He dominates the corporate boardroom.

We’ve all seen the ads.  We know that the Ideal man begins his day in the bathroom with shaving cream in one hand and a beautiful female on the other.  After a hard day’s work, he sprints to the local health spa, where he lifts weights in front of mural-sized mirrors.  Towel around neck, his sweat shines and his hair holds.  He smiles at a dazzling and trim woman who bounces during an aerobic exercise.  After smooth and confident introductions, the radiant couple slips off to the clubhouse bar.  The evening ends with Ken and Barbie sharing a nightcap, a roaring fire, and his pajamas.

But, what about the Average Guy?  Joe Average also begins his day in the bathroom.  He doesn’t have much of a beard, so one quick lick with the old Norelco is all it takes.  He ignores the few blond whiskers lodged in the cleft of his double chin.  After a quick gargle with medicinal mouthwash, he dons polyester pants and a starched white shirt.  His breast pocket holds an assortment of colored pens and pencils.  For breakfast, he gulps down some Cheerios with the family, then dashes off to the office in his aging Plymouth Reliant, dropping off the kids at school on the way.

After another day of punching computer keys, Joe hurries to his son’s Little League game.  Afterwards, he treats the little benchwarmer to McDonald’s before rushing off to a church deacon’s meeting.  Weight lifting was a passing fancy for this average guy, whose idea of “pumping iron” now amounts to stepping in and ironing his works shirts when his wife is tired.  Mr. and Mrs. Average end their evening by tucking the kids in after a bedtime prayer.  Don’t tell anyone, but he also cries with his wife over “Little House on the Prairie” reruns and wears pajama tops.

I know them both- the Ideal Man and Joe Average.  I’ve spent hours golfing with the Ideal Man, watching Monday Night football games with him and fixing his 300 ZX.  The last time we got together, I tried to talk him out of leaving his wife and kids for Barbie and her Porsche.  I told him it would devastate his family.  He didn’t care.  He said he needed to find himself.  I guess that’s what real men do.

I’ve spent hours with Joe Average.  Actually, he’s spent hours with me.  He sat with me in the emergency room while my son was being stitched up.  He encouraged me during a mid-life crisis.  He labored with me as we tore out my old kitchen sink.  He cried with me when my father died.

I did Joe’s tax returns last year, and when I tallied his deductions, I learned why it doesn’t bother me that he has shiny pants and a rusty car.  During the year, he contributed $4,000 to his church, donated 50 hours of work to the Little League snack bar, went door-to-door for the American Cancer Society, and gave his personal computer to a halfway house for runaway teens.

Joe Average may not be able to keep up with the Ideal Man on the indoor track, but if you ask me, Joe’s got the Ideal Man beat by a country mile.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY TO ALL THE JOE AVERAGES WHO HONOR GOD THROUGH A LIFE OF INTEGRITY, LOVE, AND CARE!  WE HONOR YOU ON THIS SPECIAL DAY! 

Consider reading the Word today:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+ki+16%2C+2+chr+15-16%2Ccol+1&version=NKJV
 

No comments:

Post a Comment