Sunday, June 22, 2014

June 22 - Grateful To God



Grateful To God

“We will be satisfied with the goodness of Thy house, Thy holy temple.”  Psalm 65:4             

There are few things that shape our lives like perspective and few perspectives that will change us like gratitude.  It will make or break us…depending on which direction we are pointed.  Not only when things are going well, but when things are not going well. 

Bad vision with multiple blessings around us will rob a joyful life. 

Mark Twain used to say, “An ungrateful person is like a stinky wild hog under a tree, eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they came from.”

It doesn’t come automatically,  it has to be cultivated.  But when it is, watch out, because life will take on a whole new turn. 

Good vision, with multiple challenges around us will protect us from a diseased heart.

Scholar Matthew Henry wrote about being robbed in his diary: “Let me be thankful 1st, because I have never been robbed before. 2nd, Though he took my purse he did not take my life. 3rd, Though he took my all, it was not much. 4th, because it was I who was robbed and not someone else.”   Now, that’s gratitude.

Francie Swartz in her book, Chicken Soup for the Soul at Work tells about a guy named Jerry who was always in a good mood and always had something positive to say.  When asked how he was doing he would always say, "If I was any better I’d be twins."  Jerry was a restaurant manager who everybody loved to work for because he was so positive. And Francie said, "I don’t get it Jerry, you can’t possibly be upbeat all the time, how do you do it?"  Jerry replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to myself, Jerry, you have two choices today: you can either choose to be in a bad mood or choose to be in a good one. And I choose to be in good mood." "Oh its not that easy," I protested, Swartz writes. "Yes it is," Jerry responded, "life is all about choices." Well several years ago, Jerry’s restaurant was robbed. The thieves panicked and shot him and he was rushed to the emergency room. He spent eighteen hours on the operating table and several weeks in intensive care but he survived. And later she asked him how he did it. He said, "When I was laying on the floor I remembered I had two choices, I could choose to live or I could choose to die. I chose to live. The paramedics were encouraging, but when they wheeled me into the emergency room and I saw the looks on the faces of the doctors and nurses I got really scared. Because in their eyes I read he’s a dead man and I knew I needed to take action." There was a big burly nurse shouting questions at me and she asked, ‘Are you allergic to anything?’ ‘Yes,’ I replied. And the doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for my reply. ’BULLETS,’ I answered and over their laughter I yelled ’I’m choosing to live, operate on me as I am alive not dead.’ And Jerry lived thanks to the skill of the doctors, to his attitude, and to the grace of God. And Francie Swartz says, "I saw Jerry six months after the accident and asked him how he was doing and he replied, if I was any better, I’d be twins."  Much of life is determined not by circumstances, but by personal choice. It matters how you choose to live.

Perspective makes all the difference.   We can get bitter or better.  When you look at the Apostle Paul, you find a person who had the ability to see things differently, just like Jerry. 

In 2 Corinthians 4:8-10 he says, “We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; stuck down, but not destroyed.  We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our bodies.” Paul’s  life was filled with difficulties in which he could complain.   Yet he learned perspective through it all.  He said, “I see things differently.”  God is at work in my life even though I don’t understand

Today, I challenge you to begin to make a personal choice and decide that you are going to rejoice in the Lord no matter what and have a heart of gratitude.  We will be satisfied with the goodness of Thy house, Thy holy temple” writes David in Psalm 65:4.  Nothing brings satisfaction like gratitude.  In good times and bad times, God is deserving of praise which brings contentment to the heart. Tell God you are thankful.  Go ahead!  I dare you!!

Terry Risser

Reflections:

1)  Name one thing today that is not going right…for which you can give   thanks.
2)  Suggest one benefit to thankfulness.

Copyright 2014- Terry Risser


Consider reading the Word today:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+ki+8-9%2C+2+chr+21%2C+1+tim+4&version=NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment