Monday, June 23, 2014

June 23 - The Benefits of God’s Word


The Benefits of God’s Word

 “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.” Psalm 119:11

In Psalms 117 and 119,  we find the long and short of things.  Psalm 117 boasts the shortest Psalm at only two verses, while Psalm 119 reveals the longest of the Psalms at 176 verses.  In between in we find Psalm 118 with verse 6 being the very middle of the Bible’s 31,000 plus verses.

Interestingly, Psalm 119’s 176 verses all pertain to God’s Word and how it transforms our lives.   George Mueller said, “The vigor of our spiritual life will be in exact proportion to the place held by the Bible in our life and thoughts.”  We can agree with that whether we’ve known the Lord for a brief time or a long time.  In seasons where we neglect to read God’s Word, we find ourselves getting by but hardly getting ahead in our faith.  However, when we make God’s Word a priority, we find the blessings that will follow.  When you read the Bible over and over again, you find there is new delight in the Word.  Great is the blessing from consecutive, diligent, daily study. 

Our strength from the Lord brings positive effects in the lives of people who learn to love it and negative effects in the lives of people who ignore it.  As you study Psalm 119, you will find great value and many benefits from spending time in God’s Word. 

  1. It shows me how to live. (v. 1-9)

  1. It purifies my heart. (v. 9-11)

  1. It reveals my needs. (v. 24)

  1. It discerns my thoughts. (v. 29)

  1. It produces a fear of God. (v. 38)

  1. It fills my life with courage (v. 46)

  1. It ‘s a source of peace. (v. 61 and 62)

  1. It revives my soul. (v. 93)

  1. It fills my life with joy. (v. 111)

  1. It shows me right from wrong. (v. 128)

  1. It’s my defender. (v. 153 and 154)

  1. It settles my heart. (v. 164 and 165)

Today, whether you are an early bird or a night owl, feed on God’s Word.   As promised in the Bible, it will be a source of life to you in every way.   Psalm 119:11 says, “Thy Word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against Thee.”  Fill your heart and let it refresh you.

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)    How would describe you hunger for God’s Word?  (Mild, medium or strong)
2)    What passage has most touched your life?

Consider reading the Word today:


Copyright 2014- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment