Sunday, July 13, 2014

July 13 - Christianese



Christianese

“Be ready to speak up and tell anyone who asks why you’re living the way you are, and always with the utmost courtesy.” 1 Peter 3:15

There are certain places that scare me to death.  When I was a kid, it was that abandoned house down the block that I knew was haunted.  Or that crawl space beneath our home that monsters occupied.  The thought of going there was more than I could bear.

Even thought I’ve grown up, I still feel the same.  As they say, “The more things change, the more they stay the same.”  Now I’m scared of other places.  Especially computer stores.  While I have a much more mild case of it, it was one time much more severe.   You see, I suffered from a common ailment known as “cyberstoraphobia” or “fear of computer stores.”   

Some years ago, I made rare visit to a local outfit and true to form, my nightmare came true.  The minute I walked into the store, I felt like every junkie in the place was looking at me.  Maybe it was my mouth hanging open as if aliens had landed.  Or maybe it was the look of being “clueless.”  Either way, I felt like I had been issued a dunce cap and ushered into the Harvard PhD program.  Immediately, I gravitated to the section with manuals.  Books entitled “Windows for Idiots” and “Excel for the Brainless” fit me like a custom-made suit.  Apparently, there were other cyberphobes on the planet or these publishers would be losing big bucks.

Failing to remain unnoticeable, a salesperson came over.  “Can I help you?” he said.  “Do you have one of the dillimabobs that make one of those thingamagigs?”  I responded.  I had heard that anything with “gigs” sounds computerish.  Unimpressed, he said, “Is it a multi-task, 48 megabyte hard drive system?”  “Ahhhhh, yeah!” trying to sound confident.  (Frankly, I’m not sure I could tell the difference between a megabyte, an overbite, or a Tishbite). Somehow the conversation went south from there.  I’m not sure I know what I needed and he wasn’t sure why I was allowed in the door.  Either way, we never quite connected.

Christians have an indigenous language just like computer geeks.  It’s called “Christianese.”  Much like my computer store experience, it can separate us from the non-Christian.  People who are unfamiliar with our faith are befuddled when we say, “Are you under the blood?” “Have you been justified?” and “Have you found it?”  These are common language to a fellow believer but gibberish to the unreached.  As we become more aware, God will help us speak a language that communicates to those around us.


  1. Take time to listen:  A deep empathy usually opens the door that we might minister to their hurts (James 1:19)
  2. Offer to pray:  Prayer speaks that you care and identifies your commitment to Christ without cramming your witness too strongly (James 5:16)
  3. Show kinds acts unconditionally:  James says, “Faith without works is dead.”  (2:17)  Are we different from others?
  4. Communicate your faith practically:  Paul attempted to be “all things to all people.”  Say something like…”In church, I heard” or “Reading my Bible, I noticed…”


One more thing.  Assume they want what you’ve got.  They may not know how to ask for it or speak the language, but they can sure identify when someone cares.

Terry Risser

Reflections
1)    What is your biggest struggle in evangelism?
2)    What might be a simple way you can identify yourself as a Christian to a co-worker or neighbor? 

Consider reading the Word today:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=is+15-18%2C+heb+10&version=NKJV


Copyright 2014- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment