Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 27 - Love Worth Singing About



Love Worth Singing About

“This is real love.  It is not that we loved God, but that He loved us…” (1 John 5:10)

Advertising jingle writers are good.  Real good.  They have a way of putting together a melody so that it stick in your head like peanut butter to the roof of your mouth.  Whether it is Barry Manilow’s famous “Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there” or being “Zestfully Clean,” they are forever imprinted in my mind.

I’m not sure if I was five, six, or seven years old when I first heard it, but it doesn’t matter.  Once you’ve heard it, you never forget it:  “Oh, I wish I was an Oscar Mayer wiener, that is what I’d truly like to be.  ‘Cause if I were an Oscar Mayer wiener, everyone would be in love with me.”  You would need to search far and wide to find an American of generations past who couldn’t sing that song on cue.  To add to it, you would sometimes spot “Wiener-mobiles” winding through the streets of Southern California. 

In my mind, the people who wrote the wiener song not only knew good advertising…they knew something about human nature.  Who hasn’t asked this question as a child or even as an adult:  “What can I do so people will love me?”  “If I was more like that, maybe then he or she would love me.”  If I got to that club or dress like that celebrity, then people might love me.”  Maybe if I relax my convictions a little bit, she’d love me then.”   Sally Fields gave one of the most famous Oscar (not wiener but trophy) speeches when she cried out upon being voted best actor, “You love me…you really do love me.”  How can a grown up, successful actor have those words been forever lodged in ceremony lore?  It’s because at the core, we all desire it.

In their quest to be loved,  the people of this world look in some strange places and do even stranger things.  It’s a testimony to two things: 1)  that God created the human heart to be loved; and 2) that love is a scarce commodity in this increasingly self-centered world.

But thankfully, our Heavenly Father knows this.  And that’s why He works overtime to fill our hearts with his perfect, unceasing love.  God’s Word says that He longs to pour His love into the heart of every man, woman, and child, who will let Him.

Yes, the love of God is known by faith, but it is also something you feel.  You can literally feel the love of God.  but it isn’t your emotions, it is the work of God’s Spirit within you.  Romans 8:15,16 says, “For His Holy Spirit speaks to us deep in our hearts and tells us that we are God’s children.” (NLT)  And you don’t have to convince God you deserve His love.  He already decided to love you.

The perfect love of God casts out all fear.  Fear of loneliness, fear of rejection, fear of failure, and fear of being a person no one could love.  His love shifts the focus from “What can I do so that people love me?”  to “What can I do to share Christ’s love with others?”  Because He loves me, I know I’m lovable.  Because He loves me, I can love others.

“This is real love.  It is not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as a sacrifice  to take away our sins.  Dear friends, since God loved us that much, we surely ought to love each other.”  1 John 5:10-11 (NLT)

With a God like that…everyone should be in love with Him.

Terry Risser

Reflections
1)    Do you identify with that need to be loved?
2)    How does God’s love change us?

Consider reading the Word today:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=is+50-52%2C+ps+92%2C+2+pet+1&version=NKJV
 

Copyright 2014- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment