Thursday, July 17, 2014

July 17 - 1,000 Marbles



1,000 Marbles

“But I am (concerned or frightened), fearing that in some way you will be led away from your pure and simple devotion to our Lord…” (2 Corinthians 11:3 – TLB).   

We often complicate the things of the Bible and make them harder than they need to be. When we boil it all down, it really is pretty simple. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist, or have a doctorate, masters, bachelors, associate degree, or even a high school diploma to know Jesus. As someone once said, “ Keep it simple, sir. Or, to put it more kindly, “Keep it simple, sweetie.” Only one thing deserves level one priority in our lives. That leads us
to the main idea of the message today.

Years ago, a great insight came to a man which he described as the theory of a "thousand marbles." He wrote, “You see, I sat down one day and did a little arithmetic. The average person lives about seventy-five years. I know, some live more and some live less, but on average, folks live about seventy-five years. Now then, I multiplied 75 times 52 and I came up with 3900 which is the number of Sundays that the average person has in their entire lifetime. Now stick with me I’m getting to the important part.It took me until I was 49 years old to think about all this in any detail”, he went on, “and by that time I had lived through over twenty-eight hundred Sundays. I got to thinking that if I lived to be seventy-five, I only had about a thousand of them left to enjoy.  So I went to a toy store and bought every single marble they had. I ended up having to visit three toy stores to round-up 1000 marbles. I took them home and put them inside of a large, clear plastic container right here in the shack next to my gear. Every Sunday since then, I have taken one marble out and thrown it away. I found that by watching the marbles diminish, I focused more on the really important things in life. There is nothing like watching your time here on this earth run out to help get your priorities straight."

The Bible says that you were made in God's image.  That makes you different from animals.  The animals are not made in God's image but human beings were. That means God has given you a capacity He has not given animals. That is the capacity to know God and to love Him.  Animals can’t do that.  You’ll never see a dog or cat or a cow or a horse praying.  They were not given that capacity.You, though, were made in God's image so you could commune, communicate, have a relationship with God.  If you don’t ever develop that in your life you have missed the reason for being a human.  You have wasted your life.  Because to be a human means to be made in God's image which means I have the ability and capacity to get to know God on personal basis.
                     
God has revealed His plan even in more detail.  “God's unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into His own family by bringing us to Himself through Jesus Christ.  And this gave Him great pleasure.” 
       
When we love Him above everything else, when we love Him supremely, that brings God pleasure.  This is very clear in the Bible.  “But I am (concerned or frightened), fearing that in some way you will be led away from your pure and simple devotion to our Lord…” (2 Corinthians 11:3 – TLB).   Paul was constantly challenging the early church to get back to the basics of their relationship with God

We live in a complicated culture yet here are two things God wants more than anything else from You.  He wants you to know Him and He wants you to love Him.  If you miss that you miss the point of life. That’s what God wants from you.  He made you to know Him, to be loved by Him and to love Him back. 

As a good way of remember, you might want to pick up one, two or three thousand marbles and count one each week.  It will remind us that life is a gift and that God has created us to love Him….one day at a time.

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)   Why do we find ourselves getting off course in our worship of God?
2)   How can we get back on course?

Consider reading the Word today:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=is+29-31%2C+james+1&version=NKJV
 

Copyright 2014- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment