Friday, August 1, 2014

August 1 - True Confessions



True Confessions

“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins: and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  1 John 1:9

I love court cases.  Especially those of other people.

The reason is that it combines some of the most fascinating and frustrating aspects of life.  Reasoning and relationships.  Strategy and argument.  Offense and defense.  Throw a celebrity into the recipe and you have a gourmet gathering. 

While our system is grounded in an “innocent until proven guilty” base, honest admissions of wrongdoing are rarely found.  Just once (and I’m not holding my breath), I’d enjoy applauding the person that says, “I’m guilty on all counts and deserve to be punished.”  Headlines such as these and Haley’s Comet correspond in frequency.

The problem extends far beyond court.  No matter the age, race, occupation, or gender, few of us willingly admit we are wrong.  It’s generally due to an insidious enemy known as pride.

In 1 Samuel 15:3, God gave King Saul a clear mandate, “Now go attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them.  DO NOT SPARE THEM. PUT TO DEATH MEN AND WOMEN, CHILDREN AND INFANTS, CATTLE AND SHEEP, CAMELS AND DONKEYS.”

After Saul “completed” his task, verse 9 records:  “But Saul and the army spared Agag and the best of the sheep and cattle, the fat calves and lambs; everything that was good.”

Enters the prophet Samuel to see if Saul will admit his guilt.  Notice the king’s response:

1)   He lies about his action:  Rather than annihilating Agag and the Ammonites, as God has commanded, Saul saved the best of the spoils and kept Agag alive.  “The Lord bless you! I have carried out the Lord’s instructions.” (v. 12-13)
2)   He rationalizes his action:  When Samuel confronted him with evidence of his failure, he rationalizes it.  “The soldiers brought them from the Amalekites, they spared the best of the sheep and cattle to sacrifice to the Lord your God, but we totally destroyed the rest.” (v. 15)
3)   He confesses his action:  “Then Saul said to Samuel, ‘I violated the Lord’s command and your instructions.’  I was afraid of the people and so I gave in to them.  Now I beg you, forgive my sin and come back with me so that I may worship the Lord.” (v. 24-25)

Too little and too late.  Saul would forfeit his kingdom.

Pleading the fifth, covering our wrongs, distracting the jury, in my work,
 in court and life; but “true innocence” comes to those who confess  their hearts to the Holy Judge, who already knows our hearts.  In His system, I guess you could say we are“innocent when we admit to ourselves (and to the Lord) we are guilty.” 

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)  Why is admitting our sins hard?
2)  What happens when we do?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=is+65-66%2C+ps+62%2C+jn+3&version=NKJV

Copyright 2014- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment