Saturday, August 16, 2014

August 16 - Father’s Prayer



Father’s Prayer

“If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?” Luke 11:11

Have you ever noticed that creation tends to give a whole lot of pictures of our relationship with God?  Consider the numerous examples in Psalms of the Lord as our rock, fortress, and refuge (Psalm 16:2).  Or the book of John speaks of Him as the vine and we are the branches (John 15:1-8).  Paul likens us to the body and Christ as the head (1 Corinthians 12:12-31).  What clear and vivid images they give for us to understand spiritual principles.

In fact, we could almost think, “What an incredible coincidence that all of these pictures so appropriately match the Christian life.”  The truth is though, lest you were wondering, God intentionally developed rocks, vines, branches, bodies, and more; not only that we would have beautiful and functioning surroundings of which to marvel, but that they might display something of His love and relationship toward us.

I suppose there are few portrayals of our relationship with the Lord that are as fitting as a Father and a child.  Jesus constantly sought the Father’s heart through prayer, praise, and constant communion.  The love He received from His Father, He gave to others.

I ran across this Father’s Prayer recently by M.W. Braham:

Father, as this boy looks up to me.
For guidance and my help implores.
I bring him now in prayer to Thee.
He trusts my strength as I trust Yours.

Hold Thou my hand as I hold his.
And so guide me that I may guide.
Teach me, Lord, that I may teach,
And keep me free from foolish pride.

Help me to help this boy of mine.
To be to him a father true.
Hold me, Lord, for everything
As fast I hold my boy for you.

As you can see, if you want to be a greater father, keep your eyes on your Heavenly Father.  His love will translate to you and through you.  Imagine His character becoming your character…His strength becoming your strength…His grace becoming your grace.  Your child will never be the same and neither will you.  Now that’s a pictures I can’t get out of my mind.

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)   How does or did your perspective of your father help or hinder your perspective of your Heavenly Father?
2)   Name a way you can pray for your child.

Consider reading the Word today:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+ki+24%2C+jer+22%2C+ps+112%2C+jn+18&version=NKJV
 

Copyright 2014- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment