Thursday, August 28, 2014

August 28 - May The Source Be With You




May The Source Be With You

And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won’t He more surely care for you, O you of little faith?”

Peter Marshall, former Senate Chaplain, once prayed, "Help us to do our very best this day and be content with today's troubles so that we shall not borrow the troubles of tomorrow. Save us from the sin of worrying, lest stomach ulcers be the badge of our lack of faith." Few things can overwhelm us like worry. The truth is, the more we realize that God cares about us, the less worry we will find in our lives.

In Matthew 6, Jesus was speaking at the Sermon on the Mount when He was speaking on this area and reminding them of how much God cares.  In v. 30, Jesus says, “And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won’t He more surely care for you, O you of little faith?”  He says there’s no need to worry because God has promised to take care of you if you’ll just trust Him, He’s your Heavenly Father. 

The late Bishop Ernest Fitzgerald used to tell about a man he knew years ago who lived in one of the isolated corners of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Life was hard, and every day his little hillside farm was at the mercy of drought, wind, or cold. Yet he was about the most serene and deeply contented man Bishop Fitzgerald had ever known. So he asked the old mountaineer one day if he had ever had any troubles and if he had ever spent sleepless nights. "Sure, I've had my troubles," he said, "but no sleepless nights. When I go to bed I say, 'Lord, you have to sit up all night anyway. There's no point in both of us losing sleep. You look after things tonight and when tomorrow comes, I'll do the best I can to help You.'"
               
Worry always indicates that you have a misunderstanding or have forgotten what God is like.  Worry always indicates that I don’t really understand what God’s like.  And, if I misunderstand what He’s like then I can’t trust Him, and if I can’t trust Him, then I’m going to worry.  So, the issue really is not that you’re worried, it’s just who do you think God is?  Do you think God will do what He says He’ll do?  We always get into trouble when we doubt God’s love.  Now, if God can be trusted for my salvation, can’t He be trusted for everything else?
                                         
That is what it says in Romans 8. You see, we say, “God, I’m trusting you with my life, save me for my eternal salvation. Solve my biggest problem and forgive all the guilt and sin I’ve ever had, but I’ll take care of my finances.”  If God saved you, He solved your biggest problem.  Any other problem you have is minor by comparison.  God cares about you.  When you worry, you are basically saying to other people, “I’m acting as if there is no God.  I don’t believe God’s going to keep His word.  He’s not going to do what He said.  It all depends on me.” 

When facing worry, we need to ask God to help us.   You have not because you ask not.  Why does God want us to ask?  Because He is the source. God wants you to see Him as your source for all your needs.  .
                              
When I don't know what to do, God is with you.
When I run out of energy, God is my source of strength.
When I feel like everything is caving in and depressing me, God is the source of my happiness. 
When you are hurting, He is the source of hope when things look hopeless.
When life becomes stressed out, God is my source of peace.

Remember, when you are facing times of worry, God is with us.  As you go through your day, to paraphrase the epic Star Wars series, “May the Source be with you.”  He wants to give you peace in the midst of your worry.

Terry Risser

Reflections:
1)    What are you worrying about that God wants you to give to Him?
2)    Take time to hand it over to Him today.

Consider reading the Word:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ezek+1-3%2C+rev+2&version=NKJV


Copyright 2014- Terry Risser

No comments:

Post a Comment